Kernel Processing Score Test
WHY, WHEN, WHAT, WHO AND PRINTABLE HELPS
Why score kernel processing in silage during harvest?
- Broken kernels mean maximized starch absorption
- Monitoring during harvest allows for adjustments in equipment
- It's too late to correct processing after harvest
When should the Kernel Processing Score be calculated?
- Before harvest, set up a station at weigh scale or safe area with access to water and electricity
- During harvest, once per hour, sample chopped silage before it is piled/stored
- Run the Dry Matter Test and Particle Size Test at the same time for efficiency and maximum valuable data
What equipment is needed to run the test?
- Five-gallon bucket and water or Biotal Cup
- PRINTABLE Kernel Processing Score Test Log and Written Instructions
- Binder to file results of all tests
Who can run the test?
- Anyone who can keep samples organized and do simple math on a calculator
- Recruit and train two to three people to make sure tests are run over entire harvest
© 2016 Connor Agriscience